lemonade sandwich

If the world was crazy, you know what I'd eat? My own interpretations and reactions to a crazy world.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Ugly sock creature - Girl Boo


Last Sunday, my sister and I had plans to get together. The original idea was to go to the South End Open Market, but as has been the case all spring and summer, it was raining. Having run low on ideas of places to go on rainy days, we decided it was time for a "stupid sock day." I bought her the Stupid Sock Creatures book for a holiday present, and we have been talking about making one for months.

So I gathered some supplies and headed to her place. We each picked a creature, and then took turns looking at the instructions in the book, using her new thrifted sewing machine, and offering random advice. Mine was a simpler pattern and went together more quickly. I did run into my share of problems, as I missed the instruction to cut a hole for the tail, and then cut it on the wrong side of the body. This created a rather obscene sock creature. I removed the tail, performed some minor surgery to repair the incision, and put it on the correct side. I then selected some vintage buttons for eyes. And when all was said and done... I had a really UGLY sock creature. The proportions were nothing like the book, and the color didn't work well, and really, she's just ugly. Sarah's sock creature also ended up with some proportion issues, and is kind of floppy. We brainstormed about possible accessories (dresses, hair bows, scarves) that might hide some of their worst flaws.

So I returned home with my ugly stupid sock creature and showed it to Michelle. She immediately ask "I have it?" I said that if she named it, it could be hers. She came up with "Girl Boo." She then gave it many hugs, and proceeded to have it fly around the house. My heart sang that such an ugly doll was getting such love. I manages to snap a picture during this brief love-fest. Girl Boo then decided that even more fun than flying was landing on my head. Repeatedly. Once I started getting injured by the lovely vintage buttons, I had to confiscate Girl Boo and put her in my studio. Michelle was not at all upset, and happily relinquished her.

So my poor ugly sock creature had her brief moment of love and affection. I fear that I will not be making her any accessories, as I don't think additional time can be invested in her. But maybe I'll try another sock creature again. Someday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home